Summer’s end might be around the corner, but there’s still plenty of time to fit in an ice cream treat or three. With that in mind, I bring you a classic affogato recipe. My only adjustment to the original recipe is to substitute sugar-free vanilla ice cream. I used espresso, as is customary, but you can absolutely use coffee, just make sure it’s really strong. The next time I make this, I think I’ll sprinkle on some dark chocolate shavings and some finely chopped hazelnuts. Yum! This was my first affogato and I can tell you unequivocally that it won’t be my last! That flavor combo is amazing, and seriously, you couldn’t get much easier than combining three ingredients! Right?! So when you’ve just prepared a multi-dish dinner and don’t feel like making a complicated dessert, but still want something special, this ice cream delight is your solution.
- 1 pint vanilla-bean ice cream, sugar free (you won’t use the whole pint)
- 1/3 cup espresso or double-strength coffee
- 1 ½ ounces hazelnut liqueur, divided
- Pour 1/2 ounce hazelnut liqueur into each serving dish or cup.
- Put a generous scoop of ice cream into each dish.
- Pour coffee and over ice cream and serve.